Wednesday, October 29, 2014

MYOG Projects for this Winter

So I've been thinking about a number of new projects to tackle this winter in the Make-Your-Own-Gear (MYOG) department.  I'm not afraid to tinker, so here's what I'm thinking about working on over the winter, in no particular order.  As I write these up, I'll link them here so it will be a quick reference to all my winter projects.  Links to similar projects I used as a template or for inspiration are on the individual project pages.  If you have any thoughts, ideas, or other projects I can turn to for inspiration, feel free to leave a comment.

  • Anti-Bottle Launching Solution for my Tri Bike
    Like many other triathletes, I've struggled with my behind-the-seat water bottle flying out at inopportune times.  I think I have the problem well understood and a (temporary?) solution in mind using one of my favorite materials... Duct Tape. 
  • Before I can tackle a number of other projects, I need to get a workbench built.  We moved a couple of years ago and I left my old one at the old house.  Yes, it's been years but hey, I had plenty of other projects to get done around the new place.  I already have a basic design started in SketchUp, so I'll get this one underway soon. 
  • This is a big undertaking, but probably the one I want to do the most.  Inspiration for this project came during my recent Dolly Sods backpacking trip, where 4 of us carried two ultralight 2-person shelters, and it was still too heavy for my liking.  I think I can make one out of Silnylon (silicon-impregnated nylon ripstop fabric) that will sleep 4 or 5 comfortably, and weigh in around 3 pounds.
  • Down Quilt 
    This is another bigger project, but I'd really like to sew a 3-season down (or maybe even lighter) quilt.  Ideally this finishes somewhere around a half to three-quarters of a pound.
  • Not your ordinary camp shoes, I'm thinking about cutting out some slippers from an old blue foam pad I have.  Either that, or maybe making a pair of lightweight leather moccasins.  1-2 oz max.
     
Additional ideas, added after I initially posted this:
  • Segmented Pad Extender for my hammock
    A way to add "wings" to my air mattress to help keep it centered when being used in my hammock.  Also adds a little more insulation to wrap up and around my hips and shoulders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. We'll do a quick review to make sure you're not a robot and then post it though.